Monday 27 June 2016

Maori haka

Every piece of land, Iwi (tribe) and/or Hapu (sub-tribe) have their own haka.   Their are many types of haka like a war haka where the maori wariors would do a haka to show how feirce they are to their enemy. Haka means fiery breath ha = fire ka = breath.

The most famous haka in New Zealand is ka mate.
Ka Mate is thought to have been composed by Te Rauparaha a maori chief of the ngati toa tribe.

Around 1820 some members of the enemy tribes Ngati Maniapoto and Waikato were chasing Te Rauparaha. Te Rauparaha made his way to the Taupo and asked help from the chief Tuwharetoa, who refused.
While roaming around the lake Taupo, Te Rauparaha was almost caugh, they were lying and waiting for him. Fleeing for his life, Te Rauparaha arrived at Motuopuhi, and asked the local chief Te Whareangi for protection. After some hesitation, Te Whareangi permitted Te Rauparaha to hide in his kumara pit. Te Whareangi's wife, Te Rangikoaea then sat over the kumara pit. 
When his enemy's thought that they lost him and left Te Rauparaha got out and chanted ka mate and that is how it as compesed.

Maori
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai, Whakawhiti te ra
A upane! ka upane!
A upane! ka upane!
Whiti te ra! Hi!!  
  

English
I die! I die! I live! I live!
I die! I die! I live! I live!
This is the hairy man
Who has caused the sun to shine again
The Sun shines! Hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment